Information for International Students

Learn To Fly San Diego is an FAA Certified flight school operating under Part 61 of the FAA code of federal regulations. We are not a 141 school nor are we approved by SEVIS to issue immigration documents. If you need immigration documents you will need to attend a 141 school that is also approved by SEVIS.

Currently we can only train international students who are already in the USA with a valid visa or Green Card and after receiving TSA approval for Private, Instrument, or Multi-Engine flight training.

TSA approval is not required for Commercial or CFI training.

Our chief instructor is registered with the TSA as a provider for the training of international students.

If you are legally in the USA with a valid unexpired passport & visa that allows for flight training, we can assist you.


The TSA charges a non-refundable $130 fee for their application process.

Begin application and select:


Provider: Christopher Sluka


Training Request Course ID: Initial Private (or Instrument or Multi Engine)


Training Request Aircraft Type: C172 and PA28 (or PA34 for Multi-Engine)


Training Request Category: 3


Estimated Training Request Date: One year (the maximum allowed)

Visitors to the USA who already have a Pilot Certificate can rent aircraft for time-building, but only with an instructor. We also do flight reviews, and currency. Be advised we are a flight training operation and not an aircraft rental business. 


We are not a Part 141 School that participates in the SEVIS program. We strongly suggest you contact the US Embassy or consulate in your country to get further information and seek an immigration attorney for immigration advice.

Housing: We are unable to assist visiting students in need of accommodation.

• We can not issue I-20 forms.

• We can not assist in obtaining a visa.

• We can not assist in making extensions to a current visa.

• We can not assist or advise in any way with regard to immigration law.

• International students are solely responsible for having the proper visa/legal status in the USA.


8690 Aero Drive Suite 116

San Diego, CA 92123 USA

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Logo